Ancient Horror History Unearthed: The Dwelling by Tom Elliot REVIEWED

Whenever I forget why I blog about books written and published 20-40 years ago, I stop feeling like it or whatever...a book like The Dwelling gets thrown my way by the universe.

I'll admit I have been on a St. Martin's Press kick lately. They're often less discussed and revered than other similar horror lines of the day, those like Leisure or Zebra, who cranked them out ad nauseum. Apparently far less prolific than their counterparts, The books often had great cover art, especially those designed by Ken Barr. The print is generally a lot smaller than average, but this makes for lower page count...and either way, the stories held within are of at the very least, moderately enjoyable. Leisure and Zebra can't say the same, at least in my opinion.

For whatever reason, St Martin's books tend to get discussed a lot less, so I will take it upon myself to shed some light on this very solid line of books from the boom.

This came on my radar, much like many of the oldies I read, by being mentioned in a Facebook group, arguably the best group on horror paperback fiction, Books of Horror.

Outside of that brief mention, however, there's very little information about the book or its author online. This is the only full-length novel the author published, despite a mention at the back of this one that he's hard at work on his next novel, which never saw the light of day.

And it's a damn shame.

Because this is a very good book.

Upon my initial research around the book, I learned it was in fact nominated for best first novel in the Stokers the year of  release, but ended up losing to The Manse, which I haven't read, but have in my endless pile of books to be read. From what I've heard, it's not particularly deserving of such an award, but I'll find out myself at a later time...either way, it's stiff competition is presented here. Hell, I'll even go on a limb in advance, it probably should have won.

The Dwelling takes a pretty standard haunted house plot and turns it on it's head, incorporating some very interesting and saddening elements of the most embarrassing moments in USA history, slavery and it's aftermath of injustice against Blacks in America.

We find our main characters in the wrong place at the wrong time, being drawn to a haunted house for reasons initially unknown. It turns out they are all descendants of members of the Ku Klux Klan, and spirits have summoned them to seek vengeance in various brutal ways.

Said spirits force our characters to reenact previous traumas of their lives against one another, which makes for a very innovative way to haunt them, as opposed to the expected bland stalk-and-slash many haunted house novels of the day did.

I appreciated this deviation from the bland standard, along with it's unflinching eye on very uncomfortable and cruel moments. It's a pretty gruesome novel, with it's fair share of unnerving moments of sexual assault, murdered animals and vicious violence on it's characters.

It gets a but convoluted and confusing in its final act, but it remains very well written and engaging throughout.

There are plenty of novels that get a lot more attention than this, that are far less deserving. I'd love to know what happened to Tom Elliott and wonder what he's up to today. I wish he wrote more if this is any evidence of what he's capable of.

I recommend seeking out a copy of this seemingly ignored book, you won't regret it.

My next few oldies will be by St. Martin's as well...these babies need love too!

4/5.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest! Halloween Book Giveaway!

A guest review! Ancient Horror History Unearthed: Teddy by John Gault REVIEWED!

An Interview with R. Patrick Gates, Author of Grimm Memorials