Rock and Roll Death Trip by Sean McDonough REVIEWED

It's opposites day here at Undivine Interventions.
Usually, the artwork and title of book are way cooler than the actual book. Especially with all of the books of the 80s...how many times have you picked up a book with cover art that promises so much more than the book delivers? If you've been around the same block as me, quite a few hundred times.
When Sean McDonough sent me a copy for review and I saw the title and artwork, frankly, I was dreading this book. I thought the title was hokey and the cover art was even worse. This was not going to be good.
Incorrect. The age old "never judge a book by its cover" thing... I clearly need to subscribe to it more frequently.
Rock and Roll Death Trip is a tongue-in-cheek, straight-to-video blast of a book. Notes of Troma, Near Dark and your favorite werewolf/shapeshifter movie, blended together into a sweet, bloody puree.
I had a great time with this book, telling us the story of Jackie Galindo, a pretty corny Nu-Metal musician whose art has made him a wealthy, popular guy. He's just ended his relationship with an equally popular pop songstress, Tracee Trance.
To cope with the break-up, he and his assistant hit the desert for a road trip. Unfortunately, they meet a family of shapeshifting flesheaters who begin to pursue them in a gory chase through the sand, dispatching all those in the way.
This book takes off at a billion mile an hour pace, zooming through dismemberments, beheadings, disembowelings, all with a sense of dark humor.
I repeat, tongue is placed firmly in cheek.
If you grew up on the films of Full Moon, Troma, Roger Corman, etc, this should be a must read for you.
I had not read McDonough before, but I am absolutely stoked that I have now. I'm also stoked that I ignored the tacky cover art and title, because otherwise I would have missed out on a great time. He's now on the list of authors for me to keep an eye out for.
Rock and Roll Death Trip comes out November 1st and if you enjoy a lightweight gorefest with a sense of humor, I highly recommend giving this a go. You can pre-order a copy of the book here.
4/5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest! Halloween Book Giveaway!

A guest review! Ancient Horror History Unearthed: Teddy by John Gault REVIEWED!

An Interview with R. Patrick Gates, Author of Grimm Memorials